Young bamboo shoot is one of my favorite delicacies. It has been some time since I had got a packet of shredded bamboo shoot from the Asian store. Today’s fried rice lunch gave me the opportunity to make a good use of it. It is simple and quick (provided, you have a pot of cooked rice). The green and red of spinach, yellow of turmeric coated bamboo shoots and onion make this rice very colorful. Just make sure that you take lots of red spinach, because like any other greens, it is going to wilt and reduce in size once cooked… and we do need a good portion of it in our fried rice.
RED SPINACH & BAMBOO SHOOT FRIED RICE
4 cup cooked rice
7-8 cups cut red spinach
2 cups chopped young bamboo shoot (available in Asian stores)
1 onion, cut into thin crescent-shaped slices
3-4 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
1 inch of ginger, julienned
1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder (optional; only if you desire extra heat)
1-2 tbspoon olive oil for stir frying
Salt to taste
2-3 tbspoons lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in the wok. Fry garlic, ginger, green chillies, and turmeric powder till fragrant.
- Add onion and bamboo shoot, stir fry on high heat till onion is translucent.
- At this stage, you can add red chilli powder if you like.
- Mix the red spinach and stir till it wilts.
- Add the rice, and mix properly.
- Take off the heat. Squeeze lemon wedges before serving.