Mushroom cooked in coconut milk is one of my favorite food combinations. Coconut milk imparts perfect creaminess without overpowering their natural flavor. Mix in some cooked rice to that and you have a comforting lunch bowl. Over the years, I have cooked number of variations of this combination. Most often, I prepare it just with a tempering of whole garam masala (with spices such as clove, bay leaves, star anise) and red chili pepper. Today, however, I made some more tweaks to the recipe, using fresh and frozen supplies from our fridge.
MUSHROOM COCONUT RICE WITH MINT
1 cup rice
10-12 Baby Bella mushrooms
1 cup grated fresh coconut (I used frozen)
Handful of mint leaves
1 cup of fajita veggie mix/ half a onion and some chopped bell peppers
1 inch ginger
3-4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil)
Salt to taste.
For garnish: chopped scallions and nooch i.e. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Cook rice as per directions.
- Grind shredded coconut, mint leaves, ginger, and garlic with some water to form a paste.
- In a pan, heat oil. Sauté chopped onion and bell peppers, till onion changes color.
- Add chopped mushrooms to it. Season with salt. Stir fry for two more minutes. Mushrooms will start cooking in its own water that is released due to salt.
- Add the coconut-mint paste to the pan and sauté till it loses its raw smell.
- Take off the heat and mix with cooked rice.
- Add garnish of your choice. I used chopped scallions and nooch flakes.
The result is as creamy as its master recipe. Plus, mint adds a pleasant aroma and color.