This version of energy bar was long-pending on my wish list, to share the recipe with my family and friends back in India, not all of whom have oven units installed in their kitchens. There are quite some interesting recipes around. I especially liked the ones by the Minimalist Baker and the Kitchn. As usual, taking the bits from both, I developed my own version, as follows:
NO-BAKE CHEWY ENERGY BARS
1 cup mejdool dates
1 cup alomonds
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts
4 tbspoons of flax seed powder (optional, but would suggest for additional binding effect and health benefits).
A pinch or two of salt
- Combine dates, almonds, cranberries, walnuts, and flax seed powder together and blend it in the food processor to form a “dough”. You may need an intermittent mixing between two rounds of blending to mix in the clumps of dates, if any.
- Before forming a dough ball, with some light kneading, sprinkle a pinch or two of salt over it. I liked those as “a grain of salt” surprises in otherwise sweet bars.
- Shape and press the bar dough into a slab, over a cookie sheet.
- Make cuts/ shapes of your liking.
- Keep the cut slab in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Take out, separate the pieces and store in a jar.
- Personally, I liked those as cooled slabs, so I kept them in the refrigerator (not freezer section). Yet, it would keep well even at the room temperature, if you prefer so.
Dates really are the magic ingredient here. They hold bars together and add nice chewy caramel like sweetness. A bit of kneading for a minute or two would bring out the oils of walnut and almond, which in turn gives a beautiful glaze to these bars. Plus, the possibilities are endless little variations in nuts/ seeds/ dried fruits choices based on your liking (and pantry inventory!).